Sunday, September 28, 2008

Completely Ugly, Totally Tasty


Boredom got the best of me on a lazy Sunday afternoon! It's too early to cook dinner, and since the leftovers of the Chargers cake got left at Melvin's Mom's house, I decided to make him his own personal cake here!


Want the ever complicated instructions?


Get a box of strawberry cake mix, and follow the directions.


Ok now that we have that part down, I did make my own frosting! It turned out great.


Cream Cheese Frosting:


8oz. package cream cheese (at room temp!!)


1/4 cup butter (at room temp!!)


3 cups powdered sugar (Honestly, I didn't measure this part, I dumped the rest of what was left in the bag, into the bowl, and I'm guessing 3 cups. You can do anywhere from 2-4 cups, it just changes the consistancy a bit)


1-3 tablespoons milk (again, didn't measure, but you want to add this last, just to get to your desired consistancy!)


Dump everything into a bowl besides the milk. Use a speed mixer, and mix it until it's creamy. Add a tablespoon or so of milk at a time, until you get it how you want it. You may not even have to use any at all, it just depends on how you like your frosting!


You can also flavor your frosting. Add some vanilla extract, lemon extract, or almond extract in for extra flavor.


After frosting my cake, I had some leftover frosting in the bowl. I added about 10 drops of green food coloring and mixed it well. I scooped it into the corner of a little sandwhich ziplock bag, and made sure it was all in the corner. I cut off the very little tip of the corner of the bag, and used that as my "cake decorator" it was all very artistic, let me tell you!!


It's not the prettiest thing I've ever made but it was more for fun, and I don't think Melvin cares once he gets his first bite! Hee hee.... enjoy your Sundays!!
By the way, the cake reads "Melvin turns 36" I know, cursive is hard with a ziplock bag and frosting!!

No comments: