Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Succulent Melt in Your Mouth Croutons


Sadly I love carbs. Way too much. I also love croutons, which are good for the tastebuds, but bad for the waistline. Oh well :) Here is my recipe for croutons, on which are amazing on salads, soups, gumbos, or just as a snack. They are so easy too, and very affordable to make. I keep a couple bags of cheap hot dog buns in my freezer for whenever I need these!


Succulent Croutons


4 hot dog buns

6 tablespoons butter or margarine

2 tablespoons olive oil

1/2 teaspoon seasoning salt

1 teaspoon garlic salt

1/2 teaspoon pepper

1 tablespoon hot sauce (tabasco, cholula, or whatever you have)



  • In a large microwavable bowl, comebine butter and dry spices. Microwave 30-45 seconds or until melted.

  • Stir together, then add olive oil and hot sauce. Stir again until everything is well blended.

  • Cut up hot dog buns (I cut mine up straight from the freezer) into crouton size squares and put into the bowl.

  • Stir until squares are all coated with butter/spice mix.

  • Line large cookie sheet with foil and bake for 8 minutes at 450 degrees. Flip/stir, and bake for another 4-5 minutes but watch very closely as they brown super quick!

  • Take out and give one final stir and let cool. Store in a air tight space like a large ziplock or tupperware once they are cool.



No comments: